DevOps methodology is no longer just a popular approach to software development, it becomes a necessary part of company development. You definitely heard something about DevOps and might think to implement it to your software development process. How you can do it and what can you have from it? Let’s define.
Firstly, we need to describe the benefits of DevOps managed services. The following list will help you to understand whether you need DevOps or not.
Business benefits of DevOps implementation
- Cost-efficiency. This point might be confusing because the implementation itself needs some investments. You might need to redevelop some part of your system, organize cloud migration and more. But as a result, DevOps implementation will reduce your costs for software development or ongoing IT infrastructure management operations.
Let us explain. The main DevOps principle is Continuous Integration and Delivery (CI/CD). It means your product will be delivered to end-users as fast as possible and new features will be implemented practically on the fly. The same is about bug fixes and updates. All the changes are very fast and the product is always available.
- Speed. As you can understand from the previous point, speed is also a great benefit. The modern world is very fast, so you need to match it and develop the product quite quickly. DevOps methodology provides rapid product delivery and this is very positive for a project.
- Scalability. DevOps methodology uses a cloud approach to software development. Thus, you might use all the advantages of cloud computing, including scalability. It means you might use as much resources as you need at any time. If you need more capacity, cloud computing allows to add it fast. When you need fewer resources, you’ll use fewer and pay only for what you use, it is also an important moment.
- Collaboration. DevOps philosophy includes both new technologies and collaboration between teams. The software development process ceases to be entirely throwing responsibility over the wall and becomes a really strong collaboration between all team members.
- Security. DevOps methodology provides security on all the layers of the implementation, development and delivery. You can be sure your data and software are safe.
As you can see, DevOps services architecture is quite beneficial for the business and can make your company more profitable. Thus said, DevOps implementation is an important part of business development.
How to choose a DevOps service provider?
Managed DevOps services are provided by a Managed Service Provider (MSP). This is a company with great experience in DevOps implementation, and such companies provide outsourcing DevOps services for other companies. What you can receive from an MSP?
- Assessment of the current system and bottlenecks.
- Designing a strategy of implementation.
- Redesigning of the current system if needed.
- Cloud migration if needed.
- Creating the CI/CD pipeline.
- Working with teams.
Of course, this is a very short list and in reality, it is much longer, complicated and harder. We need to notice the last step because it’s very important to change the attitude to the software development process because implementation can’t be the one thing to change. Teams attitude to the workflow is also very important.
What about the choice? There are a lot of MSPs and it is very important to choose wisely. You should pay attention to the reviews from other customers, check company rating and talk with the specialists. Also, you should pay attention to things like a convenient time zone because it might make communication pretty hard if your and MSP’s time zones don’t overlap.
Besides, we need to say, when you find a reliable partner, you’d better trust him and his experience because good MSPs always know best practices and appropriate solutions.